Sunday 18 May 2008

CT Reel Tuning - John Holden

I already have a few of Mr Holden's books in my collection, including a well thumbed copy of the very excellent "Beach Angler's Compendium", and I have to admit that I'm a bit of a fan. Sure enough his writing is not up to the poetic standard of the great Clive Gammon but John is a very technically excellent writer and you simply can't fault what he says about rods, reels and casting.

I got a copy of this publication on CD simply because it updated much of his work that I already have and I have to say it was worth the money I paid for it. The book covers the popular models of casting multipliers (ABU 6500, Penn 535 etc) and covers everything from the history of CT tuning to how to tweak that extra little bit of performance from your reels, including correct servicing and even how to lay on your line properly.

As well as the reels themselves, John goes into how to hang on to your reel, evaluating problems that occur with a tuned reel and even down to explaining, in intricate detail, what is happening when things don't go quite according to plan. Rather than encouraging the reader to go full tilt with the tuning process he very sensibly advocates accessing your own abilities and tuning the reel accordingly, so as not to end up with a reel beyond your capabilities - it's this point that I think makes John a good read. He encourages those that want to try to wring out every last yard on the tournament field but at the same time suggests sensible compromise for those that just want a nicely performing fishing reel.

Regardless of whether your an 80 yard "overhead thump" kind of person, or an experienced tournament hand I reckon you would get something out of this books 98 pages and its definitely one I intend to hang on to.

Mark: 9 / 10

No comments: